Re: [tor-talk] Tentative results of analysis of data on metrics.torproject.org

On 09/05/2014 12:08 AM, Virgil Griffith wrote:
> If that ascent is due to you, this screams to the success of the
> torservers.net model.  It might be useful to see that plot without
> Torservers.net in there.  If I figure out how to make sense of the raw
> consensus file I may plot it.

Essential to the torservers.net idea is to teach others to run relays
and share expertise. I put up a "How to get from a Debian base install
to a 'complete' Tor exit relay" since the beginning. Most of our partner
orgs are actively involved in local outreach and serve as points of
contacts for other relay operators. We receive roughly one mail every
second week to support@ from someone who asks us for help in setting up
their own relays. Also, obviously, having more orgs run around telling
people "You have to run relays!" is helpful. :) Over time, we handed out
a couple of thousand "Run a Tor relay" posters.

Long story short, even if you filtered out the actual relays run by all
our partners, it not necessarily reflects "this is what would have
happened without them".

While we're at "how to grow the network": One idea that has been around
for long time is to provide abuse handling services and legal protection
("Put our data into your WHOIS and we will take care of 99% of the
trouble; also, for the remaining 1%, we will pay a lawyer and help you
find one."). This is possible, and I believe it would be very helpful in
growing exit relays, but I personally can't take it on at the moment.

I would still be quite interested in a (pie?) chart that shows
guard/middle/exit capacity per family, ideally over time. I haven't seen
any "per family" analysis.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/