Re: [tor-talk] What good is using Facebook through https://facebookcorewwwi.onion/ ?

Hi All!

There are a bunch of security features which Onion sites provide and which make them very attractive from a systems and network security point of view; other folk in this thread have expounded upon many of these and their alternatives - the E2E-ness, the MITM-resistance, the lack of exit-node contention, etc - and I donât wish to repeat their efforts.

Beyond all these, though, I should quote the original posting* which we made on the matter, which explains a simpler and less technical point: people access Facebook over Tor, and they will continue to do so, and their doing so is entirely valid.

The purpose of the Facebook Onion site, atop all the other security benefits which Tor affords, is simply to provide a better experience to these people.

Thatâs all.  Plus, a fringe benefit has been massive increase in awareness of Tor amongst our Engineering team.  :-)

    - a

* https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-over-tor/making-connections-to-facebook-more-secure/681898341916889 <https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-over-tor/making-connections-to-facebook-more-secure/681898341916889>
Alec Muffett
Security Infrastructure
Facebook Engineering
London