Re: [tor-talk] Is there any societal use in Bitcoin?

On 5 September 2017 at 08:25, carlo von lynX
<lynX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2017 at 08:35:17PM +0500, Roman Mamedov wrote:
>> BTC wouldn't require "same timeframe" of 36 hours to transfer, it can be done
>> within less than an hour. And with the recent developments in the BTC world,
>> both transaction speed and cost per transaction will continue to improve.
>
> I think I repeatedly mentioned TALER

You did indeed. Couple of issues with Taler. First, it doesn't show up
on Google. You have to know that it's "GNU Taler". Sure, RMS would
probably argue that's a feature not a bug, but it's something of a
barrier to awareness.

Second, release notes from this June [1] paraphrase thusly:

> This is still an alpha release
> * Exchange implements the full Taler protocol, but does not integrate with traditional banking systems
> * No integration with "real" banks, so only toy currencies are available for now.
> * Documentation, testing, error handling and performance still need to be improved.

That has NOPE NOPE NOPE written all over it for me, I'm afraid. I'm
sure it's very clever, but until one of the release notes says "You
can now safely transfer funds from one bank to another", I'll stick
with established options (which include BTC, just not for spot forex
xfers).

-J

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2017-06/msg00005.html