Re: [tor-talk] hidden service - for dummies ?

Hi

First of all, I'm writing this for Linux as I don't know IIS and I've
never used apache on Windows. Use any Linux distro that you want listed
below. I do not recommend Tails as it is not meant for web servers.

OK, so there are two parts.  1. Set up tor. 2. set up your web server.

Part 1: Install tor.

$ sudo zypper in tor (opensuse)
$ sudo apt-get install tor (debian/ubuntu/mint)
$ sudo yum install tor (fedora)

Edit the /etc/tor/torrc file.

$ sudo nano /etc/tor/torrc

Uncomment the following lines:

#HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/
#HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80

Restart tor

$ sudo systemctl enable tor && sudo systemctl start tor

Get your new onion name

$ sudo cat /var/lib/tor/hidden_service/hostname

Part 2: Set up a web server.

$ sudo zypper in apache2 (opensuse)
$ sudo apt-get install apache2 (debian/ubuntu/mint)
$ sudo yum install httpd (fedora)

Create the files for your very basic website in:

/srv/www/htdocs (opensuse)
/var/www/html (everything else)

Finally enable and start apache.

$ sudo systemctl enable httpd && sudo systemctl start httpd (fedora)
$ sudo systemctl enable apache2 && sudo systemctl start apache2
(everything else)

You now have a very very basic onion site. It is not secured beyond the
protections that tor inherently provides.

I think is about as "for dummies" as it can be without someone
scripting it beforehand.