SUBSCRIBE LINUX-GSDK PenguinPlay List

Dear user,

your request

		 	SUBSCRIBE LINUX-GSDK PenguinPlay List

has been successfully processed.

Welcome to list LINUX-GSDK (linux-gsdk@wugate). The system has recorded
your address as

			penguinplay@sunsite.auc.dk

and it is required that you send your postings from that address, unless the
list does not require subscription for posting.

The list's owners are speter@essi.fr .

You should contact them if there are any problems.

Please do not send requests to this list; instead direct them to:

			listproc@wugate.wustl.edu

The system has assigned you an initial password: 892026292
You may change it by sending the following request to listproc@wugate.wustl.edu:

		set LINUX-GSDK password 892026292 <new-password>

WARNING: You should NOT use your login password as this is not a secure
mechanism.

This password is to be used when connecting to this server over the Internet
for interactive processing of requests (send a 'help live' request for more
information)

To get more information on how to use this service, please send the command
HELP in a line by itself in a mail message to listproc@wugate.wustl.edu.

To signoff from the list, email to listproc@wugate.wustl.edu with the following request:

		signoff LINUX-GSDK
or
		unsubscribe LINUX-GSDK

                       The Linux Game SDK Project FAQ
                     by Stéphane Peter (speter@essi.fr)

   * Q: What is the aim of this project?
     We're aiming to create a consistent, universal, efficient environment
     to make games (and other intensive graphics/multimedia applications)
     under the Linux operating system, taking maximum advantage of the
     installed hardware. The primary platform for development is currently
     Linux/Intel, but some parts of the project will probably be able to run
     on other hardware architectures as well (even on other Unices). To
     achieve this goal, we're gathering as much information and volunteers
     as possible from other related projects that could be useful for the
     GSDK.

   * Q: Where can I get up-to-date information?
     Most info is (or will be ;) available from the main GSDK Web page, on
     http://www.ultranet.com/~bjhall/GSDK. There are located my first
     proposals for the project. Most of them are now out to date
     (particularly the whole design is strongly influenced by my past
     experience of DirectX). You can have a look at the GSDK mailing list
     archives there. Even better, you can subscribe to this list, by sending
     a mail to majordomo@endirect.qc.ca with the following in the body of
     your message (leave the Subject line blank) :

     subscribe linux-gsdk

     You will get back an email with basic instructions for the
     mailing-list. To unsubscribe from the list, send the same mail,
     replacing the keyword "subscribe" by "unsubscribe". Be careful, when
     subscribed to the list, you'll got lots of GSDK mails in your mailbox
     (you can easily recognize them because of their "GSDK" prefix on the
     subject line).
     Of course, keep an eye on this FAQ and the other (forthcoming) FAQs
     from the various GSDK teams.
     New: The Graphics Team Home Page and The Sound Team Page
   * Q: Where can I get a copy?
     Errrrr.... There is still no concrete GSDK library available. The
     project is currently in the design stage, i.e. we're talking about
     specs, how we'll implement graphics, and so on...
   * Q: What is the GSDK's current status?
     As stated above, we're still in the design stage. No concrete
     GSDK library has been built yet. We think the design stage is the most
     important of all for that kind of project. We need to start on a good
     and stable basis, to ensure that we won't make fatal errors, like
     Microsoft did with his DirectX APIs. However, the first pieces of API
     code are getting out, and we'll hopefully get a minimal library for
     some parts of the projects within a few weeks or so.
   * Q: Will you use work from the GGI project for your low-level 2D
     graphics layer?
     For sure. Lots of people have incented me to use GGI instead of SVGAlib
     for that purpose. The developers of the GGI project are subscribed to
     the GSDK mailing list, and we will cooperate for the graphics and input
     devices part. However, the GSDK will not be based upon GGI; it will
     only be one method amongst others for low-level hardware access. We're
     planning to make X11 versions of the GSDK (using extensions like MITSHM
     and DGA). GGI will finally be adopted as our standard for non-X
     graphics if it proves itself as a stable and widespread API for Linux
     graphics, but we don't want to depend on it.
   * Q: Will you use a custom library for the 3D engine?
     This is what I first thought, but I was convinced that another 3D API
     is really the last thing we need to attract developers. That's why
     we're turning out to a Mesa/OpenGL-based 3D engine.
   * Q: Will you use OpenGL as your low-level API for 3D ?
     Yes. We're planning to use work from the Mesa project (an OpenGL clone
     freely available on Linux and other Unixes), which now supports 3D
     hardware acceleration. OpenGL is becoming the de facto standard for
     computer graphics, so this is naturally the way to go for the 3D API.
   * Q: Will this library be compatible with MS DirectX ?
     Our goal is not to make a DirectX clone for Linux; we're providing
     roughly the same features but in our own, consistent way. The use of
     OpenGL for graphics is a better choice than cloning MS Direct3D
     proprietary API. However, when the GSDK will be functionnal, a wrapper
     library that could look close to DirectX could be written.
   * Q: Is the GSDK a cross-development tool for Win95/DOS/whatever ?
     This is a Linux specific project. This means development will be made
     on Linux machines, even if we'll try to keep the APIs as general as
     possible to ease porting to other platforms. Anyway, those ports are
     not the main goals of the GSDK teams. But it will be possible to make
     ports to non-Unix platforms afterwards, but this won't directly involve
     the GSDK main development teams.
   * Q: Will it be compatible with existing DOS-based development kits?
     Most likely not. Due to the big differences between the DOS and
     Linux/Unix operating systems, there will be some features of the GSDK
     (threads, sockets...) that won't be directly supported under DOS.
     However, we'll perhaps get inspired by existing 32 bit APIs for games
     under DOS. See the previous question about cross-development.
   * Q: I want to contribute! How can I join your team?
     Join the GSDK mailing list (see section "Where can I get up-to-date
     information?" upper for the procedure), and then decide which team you
     want to join. Then send a mail to the team leader to inform him you
     want to help.
     Team leaders are currently been chosen, so this is not an issue yet.
   * Q: Who is this project's leader?
     I don't consider myself as the project leader. I'm just the project
     coordinator, which means I made the first proposals, set up the mailing
     list and made the appropriate announcement to gather people. This is an
     open project, and this means that anybody can come in and share its
     opinion with us. We accept critics as long as they're
     constructive. There is no big Chief who decides what is absolutely
     wrong or right; I hope this project will lead to a real group work, and
     that it will be the result of the cooperation of many people. We're
     going to split the project in specific, dedicated parts: Graphics
     (2D/3D), Sound, Documentation, and Input Devices. Each subproject will
     have its own project leader. I will also participate to some of those
     subprojects, as a regular developer, but my main occupation will be
     project coordination. That's why you should mail to me for general
     GSDK-related topics.
   * Q: I sent mail to Stéphane Peter but I got no reply. Is he dead?
     Don't worry, I'm still alive, but I'm getting buried under my mailbox.
     Since I've made this project public, I receive more email than you can
     imagine (up to 60 mails a day). As a student in computer science, I
     don't have all the time I'd want to read and reply to all those mails.
     Be sure I read them all, but I have to choose carefully which one I
     have to reply. Most of the time, I will make public replies on the
     mailing list, and I will also reply as soon as possible to private
     e-mail, but if you don't get mail back from me, this probably means
     your mail was not of enough interest to me. I especially won't reply to
     mails asking me things that are present on the GSDK public documents
     (including this FAQs). Forgive me for this inconvenience.
   * Q: What kind of software will be GSDK-enabled?
     Of course, every kind of game you can imagine: shoot'em'ups, strategy
     games, RPGs, wargames, shower simulators, etc... But every multimedia
     or graphics intensive applications can also benefit from the GSDK. We
     hope that every application that could be written using DirectX on
     Win95 will be able to be written for Linux using the GSDK.
   * Q: Where can I find games written with the GSDK?
     Right now, absolutely nowhere. When the GSDK will be ready, you'll
     hopefully find thousands of games for Linux everywhere in the world ;-)
   * Q: Can I write commercial game software with the GSDK?
     Definitely YES. The license of the GSDK will allow commercial game
     companies to distribute binary programs written using the GSDK library,
     without requiring to distribute the source code along with it. As the
     GSDK is likely to be a set of ELF shared libraries (.so), this won't be
     a problem.
   * Q: Why should I make games under Linux ?
     If you're a Linux enthusiast (as I am), this should be obvious to you:
     as a free OS, Linux is getting more and more used all over the world,
     and it is probably the operating system of choice for hackers (game
     programmers are a kind of hackers) : with its perfect 32 bit system,
     multitasking, security and flexibility and its exceptionnal free
     development environnement, it outperforms other commercial OSes that
     claim to be the perfect OSes for games. And think of all those poor
     Linux users that have to reboot their computer to be able to decently
     play modern games... ;-)