Re: X, SVGAlib, etc.

> De : Tony Smolar <asmolar@ma.ultranet.com>
> A : linux-gsdk@wugate.wustl.edu
> Objet : Re: X, SVGAlib, etc.
> Date : mardi 7 avril 1998 15:16
> > needs hardware-specific drivers), SVGAlib (so, if your SVGAlib is
configured,
> > GGI apps will run), X (widely supported), a.s.o. _without_ recompilation !
And
> > with the X interface, a GGI app. can also be recompiled on other
architectures
> > without any modification.
>
> I have looked at GGI.  1) It doesn't support my Video Card.  2) It
> requires a patched kernel.  When I run a GGI kernel, I can't use any
> graphics apps at all because all graphics must be done through GGI.

Wrong ... Sorry, but these are bad rumours : read again :

[ You should also know that a well-written GGI app will run seamlessly on top
of KGI (the kernel interface - needs hardware-specific drivers), SVGAlib (so,
if your SVGAlib is configured, GGI apps will run), X (widely supported), a.s.o.
_without_ recompilation ! And with the X interface, a GGI app. can also be
recompiled on other architectures without any modification. ]

> Granted if GGI becomes a standard part of Linux, it would be fine, but I
> don't know if that will happen because Linus seems dead set against it.

GGI is not Linux specific. It originated on Linux, but the kernel interface is
currently ported to freeBSD (or another *BSD, I don't remember). Remember that
a well written GGI app will run on other unices, and will _always_ take
advantage of the hardware it is running on (accel, etc.). And even on Linux,
GGI is (an will always be) able to run on top of X.

Well, about Linus : He's _really_ bored because a lot of people told him that
he _had_ to include GGI in the mainstream kernel. The GGI people don't want to
go in it unless they are ready. That's all. Please don't advocate GGI on the
kernel list ... It can only make Linus angry. He'll wait and see. And Alan Cox
is our friend (...).

> > In fact, I don't see the point with this Linux GSDK. IMHO it would only be
>
> Until GGI is ready for prime time (if ever), there is
> a need.

Yes, but IIRC, the Linux GSDK was precisely based _on_ GGI - That's what I read
in one of their pages, it is their fault if I discovered GGI ! :-)

CU,
Damien