[PPlay] GUI - 1st summary (3/3)

Hi Christof,

CB> First of all: The whole thing will be event-based (callback).

Good. I plan to use callbacks for the GUI, too - once for interfacing with
PenguinInput etc and once for internal GUI use (using a special GUI event
type).

CB> >The GUI should support concepts such as a mouse pointer (exists only
CB> >once, has a position, hot spot etc) together with some mouse state and
CB>
CB> There will be a "mouse-moved" and a "mouse-button-pressed" event,
CB> but no mouse-pointer.

Yep. You would send these events to the "GUI Control Center" which in turn
controls the mouse pointer, keeps track of its position etc.

(The "control center" thingy is just a first idea, it will surely change
in the future)

BTW: do you distinguish between mouse-button-down and mouse-button-up or
just say mouse-button-clicked?

I would strongly appreciate the first method, as it's otherwise very
difficult to recognize "dragging".

CB> >Keyboard input is needed almost exclusively in form of keystrokes
CB> >(together with modifiers such al shift, ctrl etc), so there should be a
CB> >set of corresponding events and perhaps something like a keyboard buffer.
CB>
CB> There will be a "key-pressed" and a "key-released" event. These provide
CB> The scan-code and the character (if any) of the key. Design isn't finished

So the keyboard buffer should be handled by the GUI?

Sounds reasonable (as I can't imagine a case outside of the gui where it
is needed... xcept perhaps in games only using layer P...).

I wrote a draft of the needed features and included it into the "GUI
draft" pages (I'll post them for review soon). Perhaps you should have a
look at it.

Cu
        Christian

Christian Reiniger (Germany)