Re^2: random thoughts

Hi Adrian,

AR> > * KI
AR> What does KI stand for?

Sorry, it's the abbrev. for "kuenstliche Intelligenz" - the german expr.
for AI ;)

AR> This reminds mea, I think  a fifth development team should be created to
AR> deal with things like
AR> 	* Threads
AR> 	* System Events
AR> and maybe file IO.
AR>
AR> Perhpas we can call it a "services" team.

sounds good.

But where should the other parts (AI, utilities, GUI etc) be placed?

AR> > Screen resolution / color depth
AR> > -------------------------------
AR> >
AR> > How tolerant about varying screen resolutions and color depths should
AR> > Penguinplay be?

AR> The 2d gfx layer will support both scaling and arbitrary matrix
AR> transformations.

Ok, I'll integrate that into the GUI design.

AR> So we will be providing the mechanism, but leaving it in the user's
AR> court as
AR> to how to do things.  When we get to higher level code, that may
change.

IMHO we should leave as much control to the user as possible, but if you
mean (later) specialized pieces of code, you're of course right.

AR> > * 2d vector images (consisting of several vector objects)
AR> > * colors (yes, that's no typo ;-)
AR> >   This would enable us to replace bitmaps with uniformly colored
AR> >   surfaces
AR> > without losing type safety.
AR> Well, the ppgSurface is designed for flexibility and could be
AR> anything.

Please add the above to the wishlist - they're very useful for the GUI
(esp. for emulation of "traditional" GUIs).

AR> > Will there be a general type (here called ppgImage) describing all
AR> > images, i.e. ppg2DImages _and_ 3D objects?
AR> Don't know.  What I _do_ know is that it is time to start discussing
AR> 3d seriously.  Anyone want to take the lead?

As I noted, I started talking with the CrystalSpace project
(www.grimmware.com/CrystalSpace) about cooperation, but I haven't got a
definitive answer yet. But they seem to be interested.

Cu
        Christian

Christian Reiniger (Germany)
e-mail: warewolf@chris2.mayn.de