Re: Fwd: Re: Linux GameDev IRC meeting (fwd)

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Christian Reiniger wrote:

> I will be there. Do you have any special topics you want discussed there,
> or will you just let people "in the open" ? :-)
Any Ideas?

> Portable libraries for consoles isn't possible - a typical one has 1 or 2 MB of
> memory and the game programmer is already caching there like crazy. But, it
> maybe can be done so that difficulty is shifted to cross-compilation time.. ie.
> libggi calls translated to psx API calls during that phase. Nothing too hard..
Yep, quite a lot of people have told us this.  It think we have to retreat
with our tails between our legs.

> Well, ID already port their games to linux so they will probably go for the API we
What the situ with ID?  I've heard they have become a lot more hostile
lately.

> recommend if we are set on one once for all; you can have ubisoft' addresses
> but not sure they'll want to port rayman, rayman II and tonic trouble to linux..

OK now for the point of this message:

I think it is important that we make clear that we are not asking anyone
to port right now (if they want to, then good for them).  What we want to
know is what do _they_ want from us, so that we can meet their needs
better.