   From: Christian Reiniger [SMTP:penguinplay@sunsite.auc.dk]
     To: PenguinPlay [SMTP:penguinplay@sunsite.auc.dk]
   Date: 1998-08-23 18:38
Subject:  Re: Overview Doc.

Adrian Ratnapala wrote:

>On Friday I commited the overview doc and and a components page onto the
>CVS repo.  They are

>There are a few problems with them: One, I stuffed up the HTML a bit
>and, well you'll see.

Well, at least I can read them without my glasses now ;)

Ok, here are my comments:

>While our primary development
>Platform is Intel based Linux, we indent to port to other Unices and Win32.
>DOS, MacOS and Beos are possible too).

And non-Intel platforms (Alpha, PPC, Mips, Deep Blue ;)

>PenguinPlay is only embryonic, it does not really exist.

better: is only at concept state yet. "does not really exist" is misleading
IMHO

>elies on the
><A href="http://synergy.caltech.edu/~ggi/"> GGI </A> (General Graphics
>Interface) For many of its  low level services.

(1) AFAIK the official GGI homepage is www.ggi-project.org
(2) Someone on the GGI list stated that GII&Co are now seperate projects
(i.e. don't really belong anymore to GGI)

>From components.html:
>A generic file I/O mechanism similar in functionality to C++ iostream
>or GNU stdio.  The interface will be very similar to C stdio, (there
>maybe be a iostream alike interface for C++ too)

(1) "similar in functionality to" is perhaps misleading (IMHO)
(2) I definitely want to have the iostream like interface
(3) Update: I started coding at the PakFile compiler. It's mainly testing
several approaches now, but, well, it's a start

Cu
	Christian
--

Drink wet cement. Get stoned.