Re: AYT?

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Christian Reiniger wrote:
> (1) Eelke is working on a new design for the sound part

Is he planning any support for 3D sound stuff?

> (2) Christof restarted PenguinInput
> (4) Now as Adrian is here again I predict that ppg2d will move quite a bit.

Don't these overlap the GGI base quite a bit?
Or are they primarily going to be wrappers?

Also, does anyone happen to know the status of the multiplayer code?

I'm trying to help someone port a game to Linux from Windows (basically
just by giving advice).
The Win32 code is pretty well contained, and only uses DirectX lightly,
primarily for multiplayer stuff.

Here's a specific quote:
"As for the native implementation, I lean toward OpenGL for the graphics;
I've wanted to find time for this anyway. That leaves input, sound, and
net. I've look over XLib, and input looks trivial; however, if you know
of a good and effcient platform-independent library for input, I'd love
to hear about it. Similarly, decisions need to be made regarding the
sound and multiplayer support. While our sound libary does almost
everything in software and then dumps the results in to a raw hardware
buffer through DirectSound, we are starting to use some fairly special
hardware features, such as 3d sound and evironmental audio."

If I were writing it, I'd probably use SDL at this point, but I'm also
curious if anyone here has any input.

He wants to base it in X, but OpenGL support in X is murky (at least as I
understand it).

The only functioning multiplayer stuff I've seen is zombie...

This programmer works at a fairly major game company, and a good first
experience porting could go a long way.

Justin Bradford
justin@ukans.edu