Re: overlaying

Bjarke Hammersholt Roune wrote:

> > By default it's the other way round. If you don't specify a fstype in the
> > URL passed to PFile it first looks in the "normal" file system (via stdio)
> > and if that fails it looks through the virtual stuff (PakFiles etc).
>
> I think we should check the virtual fs first. The reason for this is
> that A) its faster to look in in a pak for a file than in the native fs
> (or we've done something wrong) and B) you can quite easily change the
> virtual fs by mounting/unmounting archives, but its quite another thing
> to change the stuff in the native fs (again, its less effecient and you
> have to actually delete stuff to remove it (not all fs'es support
> links)).
>
> Of course, this isn't that important, since we'll be making this
> configuable, but I think the default should be to look in the virtual fs
> first.

The idea of checking in the Unix filesystem first is for development
purposes (both for us for users) when developing add-ons, like skins, so
you can directly work on the file without having to create an archive
first. Just save the file in your editor and restart the game.

> > >Maybe even mounting multiple Pak files one over the other ("patch" Pak
> > >files, overriding the content of the previous one).
> >
> > Planned for later. Shouldn't be difficult to add however.
>
> Hmm... That depends a little on the implementation. Did we ever find a
> solution we both liked? (can't remember)

What I want is simple overriding of mounts. Look in the most recently
mounted archive, then the next most recently and so on. Optionally, look
in the Unix filesystem before anything or as a last resort.

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/