[pygame] playing MP3s using pygame

Hi,

Someone on the python-tutor list mentioned that I could play MP3s using
pygame. So, I built pygame with SDL_mixer, and did the following :

$ python
Python 2.2 (#2, Feb 25 2002, 20:10:48)
[GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
>>> file = '/home/prahlad/test/test.mp3'
>>> import pygame.mixer
>>> pygame.mixer.init()
>>> sf = pygame.mixer.Sound(file)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  pygame.error: Unrecognized file type (not VOC)

Hence I gather pygame does not support MP3s - am I right, or is there
some black magic I can do to make it support them.

If I am right, please point me to some python library which does support
MP3s. I have googled/freshmeated around, but have found nothing.

Thanks !

pv.
--
Prahlad Vaidyanathan  <http://www.symonds.net/~prahladv/>