[pygame] Re: Pygame

Broeisi Rast asked (off the list):
Is it possible to write a shooters game like Doom or Quake using pygame?
All I have seen till now are just simple arcade games.
this would be pretty hard. you'll definitely need to go with opengl for the rendering. getting all the data into vertex buffers and such will make it easy to render entire models or parts of the levels with a single function call (hence python's speed is not as much of a problem).

in then end i'm pretty sure you'll end up wanting some sort of C engine to handle the core rendering. from there you can write the game in python on top of that.

if you think about that, it's not such a crazy idea. games like Quake3 and Unreal are written entirely in a high level bytecode interpreted language which runs on a C engine.

there are engines already out there too. the crystalspace project has been in development for years. it is a pretty complete 3d shooter engine and has bindings for python, so you could just start with that engine and begin coding in python on top of it.

--
"Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things"
pete*shinners.org