Re: [pygame] Re: Pygame

Other Python games that are pretty impressive for their 3D components
are:

Freedom Force
http://www.myfreedomforce.com/citycenter/

Eve
http://www.eve-online.com/screenshots/21012002/default.asp

Anyone know of others?

(PS: Pete, sorry about previous email sent from my non-public account)

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 12:10, Pete Shinners wrote:
> Broeisi Rast asked (off the list):
> > Is it possible to write a shooters game like Doom or Quake using pygame?
> > All I have seen till now are just simple arcade games.
>
> this would be pretty hard. you'll definitely need to go with opengl for
> the rendering. getting all the data into vertex buffers and such will
> make it easy to render entire models or parts of the levels with a
> single function call (hence python's speed is not as much of a problem).
>
> in then end i'm pretty sure you'll end up wanting some sort of C engine
> to handle the core rendering. from there you can write the game in
> python on top of that.
>
> if you think about that, it's not such a crazy idea. games like Quake3
> and Unreal are written entirely in a high level bytecode interpreted
> language which runs on a C engine.
>
> there are engines already out there too. the crystalspace project has
> been in development for years. it is a pretty complete 3d shooter engine
> and has bindings for python, so you could just start with that engine
> and begin coding in python on top of it.
| Shandy Brown                               Digital Thinkery |
| shandy@geeky.net             http://www.digitalthinkery.com |