[pygame] Perceived FPS?

I was having some reports of low FPS in a Pygame program of mine. I haven't figured out a way to reduce the time needed to draw the screen so I changed my program to only render one layer of the UI per cycle (each layer being a sprite group) and only updating the display when all the layers have been drawn rather than once per cycle. This makes the reported FPS stay high and keeps screen updating from blocking execution but I can't tell if it makes the program actually seem to have a higher FPS to the user. It seems that the cursor is slightly smoother but it wasn't so bad IMO that I'm sure it's better. Any suggestions on how I can tell?