Re: [pygame] Threads

Toni Alatalo wrote:
i'm doing that too in networked systems - Pete did show me a while back how to do non-blocking downloading without threading using select, which even works on windows for socket connections (but not local files i think, unlike on posix), http://www.tol.oulu.fi/~antont/programming/singlethreaddownload.py

.. but still afaik urllib2.urlopen() can block if e.g. the connection is
laggy or something, so can't have that regularly in the same thread that is moving graphics / playing video / .. so am still using threads. would like to get rid of that tho, perhaps to have the networking in a separate process, but controlling processes did not seem to be that well supported on windows (forking, killing etc) when last looked at it (am hopefully wrong)

I'm trying to build a sort of chat client that will work with a direct connection, possibly a null modem cable. Should I be looking at this "thread" concept? I built a working version using the sockets module, then heard that I should be treating a null-modem connection as a file... somehow.

Kris
www.livejournal.com/users/niss_the_ai