Re: [pygame] Threads

On Apr 18, 2005, at 2:17 AM, Toni Alatalo wrote:

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005, Kris Schnee wrote:
Toni Alatalo wrote:
how to do non-blocking downloading without threading using select, which
even works on windows for socket connections (but not local files i think,
I'm trying to build a sort of chat client that will work with a direct
connection, possibly a null modem cable. Should I be looking at this
"thread" concept? I built a working version using the sockets module,
then heard that I should be treating a null-modem connection as a
file... somehow.

we also recently made a pygame app that talks over a serial cable /
null-modem connection with a device, using the pyserial module which
provides a file-like interface to the connection. we haven't really tested
it yet, nor looked into if the select() approach works with that .. i
suppose in posix it can, and for that app we have to support Linux only,
so am assuming that no threads will be needed.

Twisted also has serial support (also via pyserial, but it's wrapped nicely), and it should work cross-platform.

-bob