Re: [pygame] [PYGAME] Noob Help.

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 08:38:28PM -0500, Lamonte(Scheols/Demonic) wrote:
>>    Ok I'm just trying to get un-noob with pygame and python it self.
>>
>>    Alright I was reading on a tutorial from the pygame site located
>> here:
>>    http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/intro/intro.html
>>    So I'm trying to find out whats up with this:
>>    14        for event in pygame.event.get():
>>    15            if event.type == pygame.QUIT: sys.exit()
>>
>>    So i've looked @ the python document for the for loop and im just
>> trying
>>    to figure out the event.get() array can someone tell me how we got
>>    event.type and how does pygame.QUIT : sys.exit() work?
>>
>>    Thanks in advanced for the help.
>>
>>    Regards,
>>
>>    Lamonte Harris.
>
> pygame.event.get() is not an array. it is an iterator. Yes, the "for"
> command can be used to loop through arrays, but it is also used with
> iterators. Since arrays are the concept you are familiar with, think of
> an iterator as a special kind of array that can only be read in
> order from beginning to end.
>

> Anyway, here is what that block of code does.
>
>>    14        for event in pygame.event.get():
>
> the "for" line iterates through all the available events. This includes
> keypresses, mouse clicks, and other stuff too. But for now, what you
> probably care about most is the keypresses.
>
> Every time you press a key, a key event is generated. When your "event
> loop" runs, it loops through all the new events.
>
>>    15            if event.type == pygame.QUIT: sys.exit()
>
> Now, inside the loop, the "event" variable holds information about the
> event. event.type is the kind of event. besides pygame.QUIT you may see
> things like pygame.KEYDOWN or pygame.KEYUP
>
> If the event is keyboard related, you will also have access to
> event.key which tells you which key the event represents. In my own
> code, I like to do something like this, so that both clicking the "X" in
> the top right corner and pressing ESC will both exit the program:
>
>   for event in pygame.event.get():
>       if event.type == pygame.QUIT: sys.exit()
>       if event.type == pygame.KEYDOWN:
>           if event.key == pygame.ESC: sys.exit()
>
> ---
> James Paige

Alright how do you open a blank window. I tried the following:

	import pygame as D_ENGINE

    size = width, height = 320, 240
    speed = [2, 2]
    black = 0, 0, 0

    screen = D_ENGINE.display.set_mode(size)

    while 1:
        for event in D_ENGINE.event.get():
            if event.type == D_ENGINE.QUIT: sys.exit()

        screen.fill(black)
        screen.blit(ball, ballrect)
        D_ENGINE.display.flip()

But it doesn't work.