Re: [pygame] Path finding demo, now with more fugu

Brian Fisher wrote:
> Also running graphics at a different
> rate than game stuff lets you make game stuff run at a consistent rate
> with respect to time, which is good.

I've seen this argument before on the pygame list and I don't really
understand it. It seems to me that in my experience, when I play a
game which I don't have the CPU for, I get slideshow framerates, and
it's pretty unplayable regardless of whether these slides are one
"tick" apart or more.

Of course, sometimes a player only has "not quite enough" CPU. So what
happens if the game needs 110% of the player's CPU? If you decouple
the visual update from the physics update, the player is "flying
blind", and I think this makes the game much more difficult. If you
don't, the game slows down, and this might make the game easier. This
might be a problem if you like making very difficult games (I do!) but
I think it would just be better to just abort and say "Sorry guy, you
don't have enough CPU".

I guess when it comes down to it, a good game engine has the physics
decoupled from the graphics in the code, and so decoupling the updates
for each shouldn't be that much more difficult. But I don't really see
the point.

Ethan