Re: [pygame] Character Movement

Well, this thing is due next Friday so I want a few quick-and-dirty hacks to get it running. After school is out I want to REALLY program this game instead of making a crappy proof-of-concept with lame newbie coding errors and lines of spaghetti code that do nothing. :P

On 4/25/07, Luke Paireepinart <rabidpoobear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kris Schnee wrote:
> Charles Christie wrote:
>> Kris: I did the typing part. Now I want to have a character that the
>> person playing the game can move across the screen.
>
> Would this graphics engine be of any use?
> <http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/070416island.jpg>
>
> I've got an animated character that can walk and jump around on a
> scrolling tiled landscape loaded from a 1000x1000 image map. (The area
> shown in the minimap is the central island of this "zone":
> <http://kschnee.xepher.net/pics/zone_0_0.png>)
>
> The efficiency, hence speed, is poor because it's currently drawing a
> whole screen's worth of tiles every frame. The graphics shown are ugly
> because I haven't thought of what way to handle transitions between
> terrain types, and because I drew them. (I'm proud of that tree though!)
That's a pretty sweet tree, dude. :D
> Anyway, it's usable to display a large tiled landscape with an
> animated character; you could theoretically hook that up to the typing
> system.
It's a cool engine for sure, but I believe CC is making a Raiden-type
japanese shooter (bullet-dodging type thing.)  Hope you don't mind me
answering for you, Charles.