To: <pygame-users@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:15 PM
Subject: Re: [pygame] Pygame Mixer Crackle noise not an SDL_Mixer problem

hi,

did your rewritten scripts use video?  Or just sound?

Do you have a url for your scripts somewhere?

cheers,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM, etrek <etrek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Pygame developers: Please read entire message before assuming you've
heard this before:)

I am a new user of Pygame. I have the book "Beginning Game Dev with Python
and Pygame". So far I am very impressed with Pygame;  It has excellent
graphics response and input capabilities.  The sound Mixer library has
problems though.

When I tried the examples in Chapter 10 "Making Things Go Boom", I noticed a "Crackling" noise when playing sound effects (short wav files) and music
(long Ogg files).

I have searched the archives at Seul.org and searched on Google for fixes
to this problem.  The solutions suggested basically amount to changing
arguments passed into:  pygame.mixer.pre_init(...)
I tried many different settings:
pygame.mixer.pre_init(44100, -16, 2, 4096)
pygame.mixer.pre_init(22050, -16, 2, 4096)
pygame.mixer.pre_init(22050, 16, 2, 1024 * some_number)
Too many to keep listing.
I also tried leaving the settings at default, which actually produces the
least amount to crackling.

I played the music/sound files with Windows Media Player to rule out my
system or bad files.  There was no crackling there.

On some of the Google searches, I saw that people were pointing to the
problem being in the actual SDL_Mixer.

So I downloaded SDL/SDL_Mixer extension and re-wrote the example scripts in
SDL/C++, using the same music/sound files.
To my surprise, there was NO Crackling noise.

So, the problem is NOT my system, it's not the arguments I'm passing into
pygame.mixer, and it's not SDL_Mixer.
The problem has to be somewhere in the Pygame Sound/Music libraries.

I even tried swapping out the SDL_Mixer libs that came with Pygame for the
ones that came with SDL_Mixer, and still got the crackling in Pygame.

It would be nice if this could be fixed.  Because the crackling is
essentially making the library unuseable. Which would be a shame, because
Pygame is a terrific library/tool.

Thanks,
Ethan D.
Systems Programmer, SR.
Planetary Lab, Univ Arizona

My System:
Windows Vista 32bit home premium
IP35-Pro mobo, integrated sound, latest drivers
4 Gig RAM
Intel Quad core