Re: crackling sound fix, **please test these builds** if you had crackly sound with pygame. was (Re: [pygame] Pygame Mixer Crackle noise not an SDL_Mixer problem)

"Bravo!!!" Lenard! You guys fixed the crackling/crappy music! The Pygame versions sound just the the C/SDL versions code.

1) I removed the SDL_AUDIO env var to make sure the older Pygame still made the crackle/ (and as Lenard pointed out played the music at half speed, general crappy) - It did.

2)  I installed your latest build Revision: 1222 Built: 2008-04-23 21:07

3)  Played the Pygame examples from Book Chap 10, and they sound great.

I was also able to finally do this: "pygame.mixer.pre_init(44100, -16, 2, 4096)" which resolved the bounce sound delay.

Good Job!!!
-Ethan

I was also able to set
----- Original Message ----- From: "René Dudfield" <renesd@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pygame-users@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:50 PM
Subject: crackling sound fix, **please test these builds** if you had crackly sound with pygame. was (Re: [pygame] Pygame Mixer Crackle noise not an SDL_Mixer problem)

Hi,

Everyone who had crackly sound with pygame, please definitely please
try the builds at this link.
http://thorbrian.com/pygame/builds.php

Note that this has been a problem for some 2 years :)  But I think my
change made it worse - or is a separate problem.

Here's a few things we need to do before 1.8.1 is released.  I think
that's it for a 1.8.1 release... which should be mainly a bug fix
release.
http://pygame.org/wiki/todo#Open%20Issues

cheers,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Brian Fisher <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But strangely we were having the crackling sound problem way before I
> made that change (about one month ago).

you are right in that the first report was more than one month ago.

however, according to svn, the commit that changed that line was done March
4th (also more than a month ago).

I think the first report of the problem was by Bo Jangeborg on this list,
and he reported it against RC5. RC5 was built on March 16th, I think.

So this makes sense to be the culprit, and Lenard's fix seems likely to
solve it.

However we should be sure, so if everybody who experiences this porblem
could try rev 1222, that would be great.
People can get prebuilts for it here:
http://thorbrian.com/pygame/builds.php

I imagine this bug fix would be a good impetus for a 1.8.1 release?