Re: [pygame] what does pygame.image.load do?

pgyame.image.load and pygame.image.tostring are documented here:

http://www.pygame.org/docs/ref/image.html

Briefly, load reads a file or Python file like object and returns a Pygame
surface formatted to the content of the file. tostring returns a surface's
image as a Python string of pixel data.

Pygame surfaces can be used without having to initialize Pygame or open a game
window. But you do need Pygame and SDL. At a minimum you probably need these
modules in the pygame package (for Windows): base.pyd, surface.pyd, image.pyd
and image_ext.pyd. The shared libraries SDL.dll, SDL_image.dll, zlib1.dll,
libpng13.dll, jpeg.dll and libtiff.dll are also required.

An alternate image package is the Python Image Library (PIL).

http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

Lenard