Re: [pygame] The introduction of my Google Summer Code Project

On Apr 28, 2008, at 8:35 PM, 帆 张 wrote:
Hello every one:

I have proposed to work in the Pygame project in the google summer of code 2008. Fortunately, my application is accepted. My aim is to develop a 2D real-time physics engine for Pygame. The module will be integrated with Pygame seamlessly. Since PyGame is mainly for developing 2D games, this physics engine will aim for the simulation of 2D rigid body dynamics. The functions of the physics engine include: 1. Basic functions to set objects physical properties like mass, shape, speed, force and torque.
2.  Support for basic types of joint constraints.
3.  Continuous collision detection and basic event callback handling.
4.  Stable real-time physics simulation.
I will implement the core functions in C. If you have any advice or idea about this application, please give it to me. I'd like to make this one as good as I can with all you people's help of this community, thank you very much.

The problem with chipmunk, and by extension box2d, is what exactly? I would rather see the existing bindings improved than someone try writing a new engine. Perhaps make a library that provides a mixin to easily enable binding pygame Sprite objects to physics objects.

--Noah