Re: [pygame] C file pointers and file loading

why wouldn't we continue to do what is done now, and build SDL ourselves with the correct runtime?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Lenard Lindstrom <len-l@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When pygame.image.load is given a Python file object it passes the C FILE pointer on to SDL by calling SDL_RWFromFP in get_standard_rwop in rwobject.c. While this has worked so far on Windows it may soon be the case that SDL will not use the same C run-time as Python. I tried using an SDL linked to msvcrt with a Python linked to msvcr71 and predictably the interpreter crashed when loading an image from an open file. Since great care has been taken in Pygame to separate SDL memory management from Python's it should also be done for file access. I don't suggest implementing the changes to rwobject.c immediately, but if it is necessary I can will do them.

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>