Re: [pygame] pygame for portable python

I would agree that Python 2.6 is more appropriate at the moment. Jython, for instance, is still at 2.5 beta. And many games depend on pyopengl at the minimum. As for releasing a Python 3.0 version of Pygame, that could be a problem if two versions of the .py modules must be kept. Since one goal for Pygame 1.9 is to have extensive unit tests ready, and therefore completing a major bug hunt in Pygame, it would be best to wait until after that is done. But yes, we can start readying Pygame for Python 3 by backporting pgreloaded's cross-compatibility tools.

Lenard

René Dudfield wrote:
Hi,

python 3.0 is *not* so good to teach. Most of the available tutorials, and books use 2.x. Most of the available code uses 2.x

Major modules like numpy, pyopengl, and 5000+ other modules are not ready for python3 yet.

It's just not ready yet (even the python developers say that).

However, when are you teaching it? We might be able to get a python3 release of pygame ready in time.

cheers,