[pygame] Python 3.0 and Pygame Reloaded questions

I'm working on a project in Game Maker, but it fails to meet my needs in one critical way: Game Maker only supports 2 joysticks/gamepads.  I need more than that.  So I'm taking a second look at Python, this time at 3.0 and the new version of Pygame.  I have some questions:

1) When last I looked at Python, it was dependent on msvcrt71.dll - a Microsoft dll - and the legality of Python users distributing it in their programs was in question.  Has that issue been resolved?  Does Python 3.0 still use that dll?

2) Does Pygame Reloaded have a limit on how many joysticks/gamepads it can support?  If so, how many can it use?  I need a bare minimum of 4, and 8 would be preferred.

3) How close is Pygame Reloaded to being ready for use?  The last answer I found via Google was from half a year ago.

Thanks.