Re: [pygame] Camera module roadmap

We spoke on IRC, but I'll echo the information to the list.

Werner Laurensse will be writing a OS X version of the camera module
this summer via Google Summer of Code.  He will be announcing more
about it, including his git repo and blog soon.  It would be very
helpful if OSX users could test his code as he progresses through the
summer and provide feedback.

I may take on writing a Windows version this summer if I have enough
time.  Ideally, we would have native support for Windows rather than
wrapping another library.

I'm not sure about adding v4l support, as I don't think there is much
hardware around that requires it anymore.  If there is enough demand
for it, it may be worthwhile, as I think some of the v4l2 code could
be reused.

There is currently support for OSX, Windows, v4l, libdc1394, and
others through OpenCV and VideoCapture wrappers that René has written.

The camera module will be distributed with Pygame 1.9, which will most
likely be coming at some point this year, though I don't think we have
a specific date planned for it.

I haven't used py2exe,  but hopefully someone on the list can provide
help with that.

Nirav