Re: [pygame] summer of code: OSC networking proposal

On, Sun Apr 11, 2010, Alexandre Quessy wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> Using OSC with Pygame should already be quite easy with Twisted and our
> OSC library. See http://bitbucket.org/arjan/twisted-osc/
>
> I don't really like how pygame re-writes everything in itself, rather
> than improving and using already existing code. For example, it would

It does not rewrite anything. Just because someone is not aware of
$library being existent already means that the overall intention is to
rewrite anything.

> have been better, IMHO, to put the camera in SDL, not in Pygame. Same

The camera module was a proposal for the GSoC and pygame, not GSoC and
SDL. We are in touch with SDL regurlarly regarding syncing certain
changes.

The midi port depends on PyPortMidi, which is a Python wrapper for
PortMidi and is directly taken from PortMidi. Adding MIDI through
PortMidi in SDL is a bit redundant, not?

> for the MIDI. I also had to port the changes to MIDI upstream. (and I am
> planning to bring it all the way to portmidi) The work would only need
> to be done, and not twice like right now, if you guys were not
> implementing everything in Pygame, instead of where it should be -
> upstream.

And ten thousand different C libraries would not be necessary - and
different VCS system, and, and, and. Personally, I do not see such a
problem.

Regards
Marcus