[pygame] RPG Engine

http://kschnee.xepher.net/code/liberty/

I've put up a draft of a new game engine, based on my previous program "Morningside". It can serve as the basis for an RPG engine. It offers tile-based movement and items, with the logic needed to create items and characters, pick things up, move around, and load levels from text files. You get a "Zone" class that holds a potentially large area (100x100 tiles for an example). For a larger game you could add a means of switching to a new zone, or loading more than one at a time. It's set up as a 2.5D system in the sense that there's a 2D plane with a heightmap. It's meant to be separate from any graphics system (just a "model" in the MVC concept), but there's a demo class that turns the data into an image, and you could easily extend that (or even adapt the Morningside code) to show actual graphical tiles.

This project came about because I'd been wanting to improve on the little sim-world I was using for AI stuff, and I tried a Roguelike called "Elona" that was too frustrating for me, but with some nice graphics and some interesting gameplay.