[pygame] Blitting image with alpha channel on a transparent background

Hello, I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.
I have a semi transparent background surface created with set_alpha(100).
On this surface I want to blit an png image which has a alpha channel.
The problem is that when I blit the png image surface to the background
surface the png image surface is also set to the same alpha value as the
background, 100 in this example.
As a result the complete image is semi transparent.

Thanks,
Stas

--
Free-source educational programs for schools
http://www.schoolsplay.org  and http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Schoolsplay