[pygame] Playing midi (note_on) on OS X

Having succeeded to finally get pygame to install completely (and it does
work great, I must say!), I am trying different parts.

I got the midi.py example to find a midi port by playing with the IAC driver
(putting the device online) - and therefore it opens the nice virtual piano
window. This is when using the --output directive.

However, when the keys are pushed, and note_on is called with non-zero
velocity etc, there is no sound coming from the Mac.

Now, I know that when I use pygame.mixer, I can playback a midi file - I
already tested this. So midi is working. However, it's just that when
note_on is called, no sound is made. On the other hand, there is no crash or
exception so it's as if I'm missing something in my setup - it's apparently
not enough to put the IAC driver on line.

Does anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks,
Jeff