Re: [pygame] New Website and Logo

Vince Platt wrote:

> I will second the below request though to replace the controller with something
> else, but for a different reason.  I'm not a lawyer or anything, but it's not
> unthinkable that you could get a nasty-gram from Nintendo at some point because
> they trademarked the appearance of the controller.  I'm not saying that they
> have, because I don't know, but I can see this happening if they did.  They
> might see the inclusion of the controller image in the logo as an attempt to
> play upon people's association of the controller image with high-quality
> games/games that people enjoy.  I know this might sound far-fetched but, to be
> honest, the first thing I thought when I saw the controller was 'Nintendo'; it
> fairly screams it.

Good point, although I'm not sure they do own the appearance.  The original
Gravis PC Gamepad (remember those?  :-)) looks EXACTLY like the SNES controller
except it's missing Start and Select buttons in the middle.  IIRC, Gravis also
made replacement controllers for the SNES; if so I'm sure they used the same
design.  (Of course that doesn't mean they didn't get sued; I've never
looked.)  My first thought was SNES too but then I remembered my Gamepad and
pulled it out just to make sure.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one who found the SNES controller a little
strange.  Here's why I think it's an, um, unusual choice:

- As was mentioned, it does suggest console/arcade-style games.

- The SNES is rather out of date now.

- There's no Python port for the SNES.  :-)

I'd suggest a mouse, or at least a PC joystick, but those are kind of cliche...