Re: [pygame] Log of attempt to get pygame source to build on cygwin (HELP APPRECIATED :-)

Peter, PYTHONPATH refers to the python module directory.  This is typically in /usr/lib/python2/ or something similar(maybe /usr/local/lib/python2/, and contains a large number of python files, probably compiled python bytecode.  This is python's "standard library".

-lpython2.1 is something used by gcc/libtool to link to the system's python2.1 shared library.  Probably called libpython*2.1*dll* .  This library should be somewhere different than the PYTHONPATH variable is set to.  I forget, does cygwin have an ldconfig program?  If it does, try looking at the output of ldconfig -v and see if libpython* is in the output.

Some of the confusion here may stem from the way cygwin works and the way a "standard" python install works on windows.  It sounds to me like you've installed python in cygwin, and not used the windows python installer from http://www.python.org.  Is that the case?  If so, things should still be do-able, it's just an important distinction to make.

Additionally, you should be able to just get the prebuilt pygame package and install it with the installer program.  One problem that may occur is that the pygame installer doesn't properly detect the python package installed in cygwin.  If that happens, mail the list and say so...  There may be ways to hack around that.  But, if it works, then you'll be up and running.  The test programs should work, and you should be able to start writing pygame stuff immediately.

You should not have to compile *anything* to use pygame on windows, unless you're trying to use something from cvs or another release that doesn't have the prebuilt modules.  You don't need a compiler to use pygame.

-b