Re: [pygame] Weird crashes with 1.5.x

Jan Ekholm <chakie@infa.abo.fi> writes:

> This version introduced at least in Civil a heap of random and totally
> weird crashes. It seems to be something with the 'rect' code that gets
> abused somewhere, or just plain crashes. We can crash the game in at least
> two different locations with the same error, while running the exact same
> codebase. We get a stacktrace like this:
>
>   [rets of stacktrace nuked]
>
>   File "./state/action.py", line 83, in __init__
>     self.ordersview_visible = scenario.playfield.getLayer ( "orders_view").isVisible ()
>   File "./playfield/playfield.py", line 314, in getLayer
>     if layer.getName () == name:
> AttributeError: 'None' object has no attribute 'rect'

I don't know what's up here, but I'll just point out that getting
utterly random exceptions is often a symptom of some PyCFunction
setting an exception but returning non-NULL.

Can you try this in a debug build (of Python -- you'll probably need
to rebuild pygame too)?  That contains checks for this sort of thing.

Cheers,
M.