Re: [pygame] numeric and surfarray

enrike@ixi-software.net wrote:

i am trying to test surfarray. for this i installed Numeric but i doesn't look like it works.

I don't know what i did wrong. I am running python 2.2.3 and numarray-0.6.1
you are mixing your 'numarray' with 'Numeric'. you'll want to install the Numeric packages to work with pygame. Numeric is the 'old' version of these libraries. numarray is the next generation and has many new features. unfortunately it doesn't quite work with pygame yet.

it's going to be too hard to support both Numeric and numarray and I have a feeling after the next major pygame release we will start transitioning to the newer numarray.

the Numeric developers have not released a windows binary of Numeric for python2.3, I have made one available here if needed.
http://www.pygame.org/ftp/misc/Numeric-23.0.win32-py2.3.exe

here is a quick guide to the differences between Numeric and numarray
http://stsdas.stsci.edu/numarray/Userguide.html

i believe once numarray reaches 1.0 it will have an api freeze and attempt to be included in the python standard lib (woohoo)