Re: [pygame] Transparent Pygame Windows?

Hi again,

i don't think it is possible through pygame / SDL directly.

Especially as, i think i remember from your last post, you're using X on a non - M$ - OS.

I think there were always problems with transparent windows in X, because of the X server / client model, most terminal emulators use a copy of the root window as a base for their transparency (no other windows are seen in between the terminal and the bg).

The way to go, i guess, would be to get a screenshot into your program somehow, on MS-Win through the Win - API, i guess, and in X ... i don't know.

Then you could take your window's position and size on the screen as an offset in the copy of the screenshot, blit this rectangle as a base image in your pygame - window and blit another surface with alpha - effects added onto it. It would be quite complicatet, i guess, especially if you want to do it portable, as you'd have to use API - calls to the Environment you're on, eg. Windows, X, OS/X, whatever.

That's the only way i'd say it would be possible. I don't know if this work (getting a screenshot os - independent) has been done somehow for sdl / python.

Bye,

Daniel