[pygame] Weird sound bug?

I've noticed that when playing ordinary sounds using
pygame.mixer, I get weird glitches and the sound seems
to be played back a little too fast, as if it were
"skipping".  Needless to say, this sounds crummy.

However, this problem goes away if I play background
music -- even if I set the background music volume to 0.

Both the background music and sound (it's spoken
dialogue) are ogg vorbis files.

Is this a known problem?

Obviously I have a work-around for it, but it seems weird
that I should need it.  Can anybody suggest what's going
on here?