Re: [pygame] Not all buttons are created equal...

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 03:21 am, Matt Bailey wrote:
> These are evidently "rapid fire" buttons. Since you say all PS/2'ish PC
> controllers are like this, I assume the PS/2 controllers themselves implement
> these buttons as rapid fire.

No, all I know is that I have seen several devices in the store
that have similar button layouts. I've only tested this one device.
I've noticed no one sells a PC gamepad with a layout that matches
the GameCube controllers.  Maybe there's a patent issue involved,
or maybe the PS/2 is just "the standard".

I'm *wondering* whether they all act like this.

Your answer suggests to me that it is the device and not pygame
doing it.  And of course, the term which is new to me, and that
implies that it's probably not a defective controller or something.
Which is all useful information, thanks. :-)

> If this functionality is really critical to your game, how about just allowing
> the user to check a box or something for "I'm using a gamepad/PS2-style
> controller with rapid fire inputs"? It should be simple enough to handle
> either case so long as you know which case you need to handle. :)

Well, it suggests that I must plan for any button to
possibly act like this.  Of course, it may not even matter. In practice,
it probably means that I might get two button events when the
user thinks they've pressed it just once.  It's not a "twitch" game
that I'm writing, though -- I can probably have the code block
repetitions that occur too quickly.  The main thing is just to avoid
confusing the player.

I'm actually planning for joystick control to be optional, but I'd
like the game to support this kind of controller, since it will give
it a "console game" feel if people want to play it that way.

Right now I'm just testing.

Thanks for the replies,
Terry