[pygame] Preventing multiple instances of your game from running (and activating the running copy?)

Hey all,
 I want to write some code to make my pygame apps prevent multiple
instances from running, and if possible (although I doubt it is...)
make the currently running copy of the game activated if another
instance gets run.

Also, I want to use some method that works great cross-platform, and I
don't want to use any method that could break with a crashed app (like
marker files or whatever... I mention this cause the 2 samples I found
in google were using mutex's with win32 extensions and using a marker
file)

So do you guys have a feature like that in your games? What approach
do you guys take?