[pygame] IDLE crashes on error?

Hi folks,

Python/Pygame newbie here. Really liking it so far, but I've resorted to using Notepad. It seems like any time I execute code with errors in it -- simple syntax errors, not endless while loops or anything -- IDLE freezes. Also, and I don't know if this is related, but sys.exit() doesn't actually close my windows when I'm running things from IDLE. They just freeze.

IDLE version 1.1.3, Python version 2.4.3, any help/advice appreciated.

-Morgan