Re: [pygame] Pygame's future beyond 1.8

I do not plan to use pygame ctypes, and will continue C pygame.  It
will be as a fork since pygame ctypes is planned to become pygame 2.0.

On 8/20/06, Richard Jones <richardjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now that pygame-ctypes can run everything I, and several other people, have
thrown at it, I guess it'd be a good time to think about what PyGame's future
is.

Here's my vision:

* pygame-ctypes and possibly sdl-ctypes 1.0 are released in a month or so
* pygame 1.8 is released in about the same timeframe
* active feature development halts on the pygame(old) codebase, with bug
  fixes possibly causing a new release (1.8.1, etc)
* pygame-ctypes is renamed "pygame 2.0" and is released when its performance
  matches or exceeds pygame 1.8 (using Pyrex/C extensions where needed, but
  always retaining pure-python codepaths for all operations)

Thoughts for pygame 2.0:

* hook into a separate mature drawing library using ctypes (possibly one with
  SVG support? Cairo? Amanith?)
* include a network library?
* update pygame docs to reference cool new features available due to direct
  sdl library access and other things (eg. numpy arrays as surfaces)
* any other new features?

Richard