Re: [pygame] Pygame's future beyond 1.8

On, Mon Aug 21, 2006, Renï Dudfield wrote:

> On 8/21/06, Alex Holkner <aholkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> >I am with Richard in planning for Pygame-ctypes becoming the trunk and
> >future development on Pygame stopping at 1.8.x.  Your expertise in
> >Pygame would be invaluable in implementing the required optimisations in
> >Pygame-ctypes, and I would not like to see the community forked.
> >
> >Regards,
> >Alex.
> >

> This is the thing I think you are missing... I want to continue with C
> pygame, and there will be others who will want to continue using it.

Seconded.

> For some of us, it does not make sense to use pygame ctypes.  If we
> can come to some way of having both going at the same time, I think
> that will be the best outcome at this stage.  Considering that both

Seconded.

> projects are going to keep existing.  However if Pete does not want to
> have the current pygame continuing as pygame, then I am going to name
> it something else and continue on elsewhere.  Maybe that will be a
> better idea, than to have the two projects trying to share the same
> webpage/etc and trying to keep a compatible api.  I'm not sure.

Seconded. Compatible APIs just will slow down both versions. I'd vote
for two names, one keeping 'Pygame' and the other one with an
alternative one. Both however located on the Pygame website.
Preferably renaming pygame-ctypes to pygame as soon as it reached a
mature and stable state _and_ is fully compatible to the current pygame
API (if that's its intention for now) so that distributors, dependant
projects, ... won't have any compatibility issues.

> I'm interested to hear what Pete, Phil, Bob, Joe, Marcus and other
> contributors have to say about it, as well as anyone else.

I'll gladly join the further development of C pygame and share
knowledge, ideas, etc. with the pygame-ctypes developers, so that both
libraries are going forward.

Regards
Marcus