Re: [pygame] Pygame's future beyond 1.8

Alex Holkner wrote:

None of these projects will ever be compatible with the existing Python extension mechanism, which is closely tied to its implementation. ctypes is the "missing link" that allows these new implementations to support external libraries without the need for extension libraries.

I think it's far too soon to announce that ctypes will be "the" solution to all future Python interfacing problems. Only if and when one of these projects clearly looks like becoming the successor to CPython will we have any firm idea what will be required.

There's nothing wrong with pursuing pygame-ctypes, but
I think it should be a different package with a different
name for the time being. It shouldn't be called 'pygame'
until it can function as a drop-in replacement in all
respects, including performance and range of supported
platforms.

--
Greg