Re: [pygame] Reverse Compiling

Ian Mallett ha scritto:

>     On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Ian Mallett wrote:
>     > All hail king Linux! (or Mac) except .exe files don't run...
>
>     You're just not using Wine :)
>
>         Richard
>

> What's Wine?  If it's what I think it is, it should be preinstalled.  Is
> it a Linux thing?  Mac seems to go with bootleg/bootcamp.
> Ian

It's an open source Linux (don't know about other Unixen) software that
allows you to run Windows programs under Linux just like they were
native Linux executables. It translates DLL calls to Linux calls, so the
process is almost entirely transparent. You don't even need to have a
Windows copy around. The software you want to run just "thinks" it's on
Windows... but it's not.

Look at http://www.winehq.org

Of course to have a 1:1 Windows-Linux compatibility layer (done by
*reverse engineering* Windows libraries) it's a gigantic feat, and many
applications still do not work properly. But there is already a lot of
applications that work nicely or at least are usable. Some versions of
MS Office, Photoshop, etc. I use it in my laboratory to run EndNote 9
natively under Kubuntu. A lifesaver.

Here is a compatibility database. Excellent startpoint, but Wine is
under heavy and fast development... ;)

http://appdb.winehq.org/

m.