Re: [pygame] PyGameDB coming along well

It will be up to the repo to moderate the security of packages.

I plan to have a policy of moderation on my own repository, once its ready.
I will give moderation privileges to trusted and experienced python
programmers, and ban people that abuse it. Anyone is free to set up
their own game repository though!

It runs entirely in userland, it does not need administrator
privileges. It does not use python's site-packages system.

I plan to have a sophisticated searching system including tags, so
pyweek games can have a pyweek tag and their website could instruct
their users to search for a tag, adventure games get a adventure tag
etc...
Other plans include translation into other languages.

Perhaps i could think of a way to allow more than one picture,
dropdown box maybe? or maybe you click it and it shows next one like a
slideshow. I want to keep the GUI simple, accessible and easy to use.

Also remember, this isnt just for Linux but I have plans to get it
packaged into ubuntu :)

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Dan Krol <orblivion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is fantastic, I didn't know this was in the works. I was always
> thinking, for open source games to take off, there needs to be a good
> catalog of games that people can browse, and it has to be flashy, but
> it has to show off the big advantage of open source games, which is
> that unlike other catalogs (like Steam), you can download it and play
> the whole thing, right now.
>
> For it to be attractive to users, though, I think It would be really
> nice if the games were categorized, had nice screenshots, etc. It
> should be like an advertisement, so people will be likely to check it
> out. But that's just my take.
>
> The only question I have is, is there any regard for security? Are the
> games being looked over before they're added to the repo? Etc. I'm
> perhaps naive and overly worried, I'm not familiar with how carefully
> Linux distros (for instance) usually handle this sort of thing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Noah Kantrowitz <noah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Not to point out the obvious or anything, but why would you not just use
>> pygame.org, which already has a big database of games. Just add an API for
>> getting the metadata you need and be done with it.
>>
>> --Noah

>>> http://launchpad.net/bzr/1.6/1.6beta3/+download/bzr-setup-1.6b3.exe
>>> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.8-win32-unicode-
>>> 2.8.8.1-py25.exe