Re: [pygame] PyGameDB coming along well

Some thoughts:

- I'm not a fan of fixed width web pages, I've got a really wide monitor, and I'm not afraid to use it. - The layout wastes too much space IMO. The content well is quite small and constrained. - The mixture of rounded and sharp edges doesn't look right, maybe you're not done though.

My advice, copy a successful site's layout. An example that comes to mind is google groups: http://groups.google.com/

It has nice big icons on the home page for features that draw the eye, nice sections for different ways to use the site, depending on whether you are looking from something or creating something. It's pretty clear after looking at the home page for a few seconds what the site is for. The page layout is very open, yet it is organized clearly without feeling constrained.

I suspect people will use this site similarly to google groups in that:

- They will either come to the home page to look from there
- Or more likely they will land directly on a game's page coming from a search engine - Or they will be "content creators" who have particular pages they come to often

The page layout can/should be different for each of these cases probably. People just coming to the site may not even know what the site is, they need hand-holding, drop dead easy ways to figure out what to click on. Big pretty icon links are the way to go here.

People using the site all the time want to be able to get in and get out and get their tasks done. This assumes this is a "membership/ community" style site. If so, you really need to identify the use cases for these users and design for them as well.

If you are designing a community site, I strongly suggest you use an existing framework to do it. There are many to choose from, even just limiting yourself to Python, though there are of course many other options for other languages.

-Casey