Re: [pygame] how to remove spam comments in pygame wiki

Devon,
  First, I sincerely apologize for characterizing your position as fixed width - it was careless of me to do so, and I do appreciate the differences between fixed width and liquid w/ min & max. Also it was rude an incorrect of me to call your opinion a "cop out".

To get back to the discussion - no disagreement from me on the need to have a min width - I completely agree with the need for that, although I also sympathize with Greg that the min width sites impose does tend to be smaller than I'd like.

On the max width vs. full width thing, after reading your arguments and thinking it over, I now think that all your positions and opinions are absolutely correct. However I also think that practically speaking, it really doesn't matter very much that you are correct ;)

Basically, I can see that for any given webpage that supports full-width, you could stretch that puppy out horizontally to some point that would really destroy the readability and usability of the site. So yes, assuming that width of desktops will continue to grow, there should instead be a max width every webpage will accommodate.  And like you said, it's lazy design not to set that width.

However, I think that practically speaking, 99% of the web audience is not going to open their windows wide enough to need that max width, and if any significant portion of the web audience is seeing a page maxed out, the designer probably set the max way too small.  I personally haven't seen a site yet that went too wide on my 1600x1200 mac, but I've seen plenty that max out too small at 1280 and even quite a lot at 1024.