[pygame] default font

Two problems with pygame.font.SysFont:

1.
How do I determine which font face it actually returned ? If
it fails it returns the default font, but how do I know that
it failed ?

2.
If I make an exe file with py2exe,  freesansbold.ttf is not copied
with it. So when I use pygame.font.SysFont it fails without
an error message and just terminates the application. Try: and
except: wont catch it which seems a bit harsh. It Took me a while
to figure it out.
I tried to put the font in the same directory as the exe and
in the library.zip, and all over the place in the build
directory but neither works. Any way to make it work ?
Or is it broken ?

Bo)